Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Surgery.

Well the day's finally here! I had my consultation with my doctor and the Lap-Band surgery is tentatively scheduled for January 14th or 15th. My doctor is going to call me in a week to confirm which date. The surgery will take place at Tallgrass here in Topeka, and Dr. Bernita Bernsten will be my surgeon. It's an outpatient procedure, so I should be home around 6 pm that night, the surgery will take place at 8 am. I can't wait, it's going to be an amazing journey from then on out!

I am so excited, not just because I will finally lose (and keep off) some weight, but more so I will be HEALTHY. And that is my numero uno reason for doing this surgery. I realized not to long ago that my 35th Birthday is rapidly approaching. Ok well it's 8 years away, but that seems super close to me.

Why is this significant? It's significant because my father was 35 when he died. True his health was not the reason for his death, but trust me, realizing you will out live one of your parents is very odd. They are supposed to die when you're older and they are in their golden oldie years. They aren't supposed to die young. 35 was too young for my dad to go.

So I started thinking about my father and his hopes and wishes for me and my family. And I know he'd want me to out live his young 35 year age by at least 30 years, if not more. And I know in my heart, if I don't get control of my obesity, if I don't get healthy, I will NOT make it to 65 or older. And that scared the hell out of me.

Again, I want to reinterate this surgery is no magic 'cure' or anything. The hard work lies within me. It will simply be a tool to help me feel fuller, longer. Which lets face it, I desperately need. I'm tired of eating healthy lunches and then being starving two hours later. That is not normal. This lap band will simply help me stay full for longer, thus resulting in me eating less and hopefully losing weight. The key for me is to eat healthy and exercise throughout this entire journey.

I hope if anyone has questions or concerns to please let me know. Or please visit www.realizeband.com. It's the site for the band system I'm going to use. And it's amazing! It goes through the procdure, support, everything.

So up until January I will enjoy the holidays and some 'bad' meals. We're planning a 'last supper' at this amazing Brazilian Steakhouse in Kansas City, if anyone wants to join us please let me know. It will probably be the first weekend in January.

I'm looking forward to starting 2009 with a newer, healthier Maggie!

No comments:

Post a Comment