Saturday, March 14, 2009

Simply Mags

I'll start by saying this is the most honest and blunt blog I've ever written. Please know I've been going through alot these past 6 months, and I've grown and changed. And it's made me realize some things and confront things I've never confronted before. It's made me a bloody emotional rollercoaster, but I know it's all worth it. In the end I will be a better ME.

I've made a very tough but very thought out decision. Those close to me already know, but there are those of you in cyber land that I hardly see, but I wanted to include in my life. Even though we hardly speak, please know that I love you all and you have ALL helped make me the person I am today. And I hope anyone who reads this knows that when I say thank you, I TRULY mean that.

I have decided to have the Realize Lap-Band surgery. How have I come to this decision? Is this a last resort? How will my relationships change with those I love?

I've been asking myself these things for the past 2 weeks. And you know what? I'm not going to worry about things I cannot control anymore. Now I'm going to worry and focus on things that are in my control (ie: weight).

Some of you that know me will think I'm taking the 'easy' way out, some of you will applaud my decision. Either way, I must keep telling myself this is MY decision and bottom line, everyone will have a thought or opinion on it.

How did I come to this you may ask? I've been dieting since I was 13. I've done Weight Watchers, Atkins, Diet pills (including Phen-Fen)' you name it. And every time I do have some success, but as soon as I go off whatever diet I may be on I gain that weight back, and sometimes more. And to be frank, I'm f-ing TIRED of it. So, I wanted to do some research, and educate myself on a tool that may truly help me. And I've found it!

Sure, I have fears about this surgery. But my fears of continuing down my unhealthy, obese road VASTLY outweigh the 'risks' of me having this surgery. I am absolutely terrified of dying young. I'm even more terrified of having a child and leaving them without a parent. I'm tired of having sleep apnea and high blood pressure. The thing is, I'm TIRED of being unhealthy.

This surgery is by no means a 'cure' or an easy way 'out' for me. I will have to do alot of dietary changes, as well as do more exercise. This surgery will simply give me a tool to help feel more full and more satisfied. And the best part? I will have an amazing group of support from my family, friends and the doctors that I'm going to work with.

So how have I 'chosen' the Realize Lap-Band? It's quite simple really. They have an amazing 3 year support system for those who have the surgery. And that is something I need. Yes, my friends and family are going to be there, but this will give me medical tools and access to my dietician and doctors whenever I need. That will be a key ingredient in my weight loss.

I can't have the surgery until after the first of the year, and I'm shooting for a January 17th date, that way I can recoup over the 'long' holiday weekend.

For those that would like 'updates' on this journey please let me know. I'll be happy to regularly post blogs as I continue this.

So to end this blog, I'll conclude with my new 'motto':
'Something has changed within me, something is not the same, I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game...'

It's time for Maggie to make her OWN rules

No comments:

Post a Comment