Thursday, January 7, 2010

525,600 Minutes, A Year In My Life.

"525,600 minutes... 525,000 moments so dear... 525,600 minutes... How do you measure, measure a year? In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights and cups of coffee... In inches, in miles of laughter and strife... In 525,600 minutes... How do you measure a year in the life?" -RENT Soundtrack

Well, it's just a week away from my 1 year 'Surgiversary'. And I've had some time, thanks in part to my gallbladder surgery, to reflect on how far I've come; as well as how far I have to go.

To date I've lost approximately 70 lbs. This is just about half of what I want to lose all together. And to be honest, I had hoped I'd be down 100 lbs by this time. But life happened while I was busy making these plans. I just have to learn to be OK and accept that. My gallbladder surgery was the worst and best thing to happen to me this year. Why is that?

I realized while recovering last week that these past 3 or 4 months I'd lost 'sight' of what I wanted; and what I need to do for me. It's true that old habits truly to die hard.

Getting sick with gallstones, and not feeling like myself has helped me recoup and redirect my goals for this year. Today was my surgery follow up and my Doctor gave me the OK to start eating and exercising as I had been, prior to my gallstones. This is fabulous news! These past few months I wasn't able to eat the healthier things I should because any fat (good and bad fats) was causing my gallbladder to contract and thus was causing me horrid pain. Well, no gallbladder and no problems now!

So I have made a promise to myself. To take each day as it comes and not try to worry about tomorrow. Yes, I'll plan for my future. Hell, I have a wedding to plan ;) But for the most part, I will focus on making the best of each day. As opposed to just 'observing' it as I had been recently.

I am also so proud that I haven't allowed myself to GAIN, but lose weight this year. True my lack of enthusiasm and progress these past 3 months is because I haven't worked out as much, and I ate more carbs than I should, but I still lost. And, for the first time ever, I didn't gain. This is a HUGE accomplishment. In the past if I was 'off track' or lost my gusto, I would gain 10 to 15 lbs a month. Since I have my awesome Band, my friend, I haven't.

Today I've taken a stand and recommitted to me. And that's all I can do. I refuse to dwell on my mistakes this past year, and instead focus on my success of 70 lbs gone. And I'll relish in the fact that I know this year I can and WILL lose 70 lbs (and who knows, maybe 10 or 20 more)?!?!

I hope everyone out in cyber land is doing well!

Ciao!

<3 - Mags

2 comments:

  1. Way to go girl! You are right on target with your attitude and I'm so happy for you! 70 lbs gone is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing good and looking GREAT! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete